Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing #15

I think technology has changed the world and its hard for me to imagine what life will be like when my students and kids are my age. I think it is important to keep up with technology but I don't think we should throw away everything from the past. Generations learn from each other.
I wonder if the drop in library circulations are solely due to increase of web information and activity or if less people are reading.

I do believe that technology instruction needs to be available for all people of all ages and the library would be a good place to make that happen. Libraries have changed so much during my life time. When I grew up it was a place of silence and thinking unless the librarian was reading a book to children. Now, libraries are fulled with much more activity.

I really like the idea of digital downloads of books and the ability for readings to tag and share their reviews and comments. However, I still think there is a need for books in print too.

4 comments:

Mamalibearian said...

Aren't you glad that libraries have changed? I remember my school library being intimidating, even to a person who loved to read! I hope our school libraries aren't seen that way.

Christie said...

Well, you are moving right along here. You commented on my blog previously, but I am the one learning from you now! (and way behind you!) Good job!

BJ said...

I, too, feel concerned that students today do not value the library like I did growing up. I remember checking out a huge stack of books every summer as a child, hungry to read them from cover to cover, return them and check out more. Today, kids read more online than they do physical books. I agree that technology is great, and we should learn to use it along with our kids, but I still feel something special when I walk into a library and see all of the books waiting for someone like me to take them home.

ESLFroggie said...

I don't know if I would be crazy about reading downloadable books, but I sure like your idea of being able to leave tags and comments; you are so forward-thinking, Alex Rover!